Monday, December 3, 2007

On campus today there was a beeping in the quad [yea...that's what we need to call all of the grass and sidewalk within the library, science building, clocktower, and DC here at good ol' Spring Arbor University]

At first I ignored this beeping sound because I was on my way to finish some last minute studying for Biomechanics (my kinesiology course here at SAU).

Later I took some time to walk over to the easel-ish stand in the quad and read what this week's demonstration is.
It was a poster designed by LINK that had information about the statistics of the death's caused by AIDS in one country in Africa (I forget which county. but I'll go find out what it was as soon as I'm done writing this blog)

In this aforementioned country...

one person dies every 13 seconds due to AIDS...

For some reason, today, I was filled with compassion and very broken by this. Even more so was I deeply disturbed at the reality and ignorance of us towards this reality. The was a CD playing that was looping a --beep-- every 13 seconds. How can we ignore that? I walked away cringing because from what I understand, every single one of those beeps actually represents one of our brothers or sisters dying over there.

When did I lose compassion and become numb to things like this? It is such an injustice to not consider lifting a prayer or thought even in the direction of those who are suffering. Should we feel guilty? Maybe not...but this is all I know. God has been working in me a lot over the past couple of days and opening my eyes to truths that he wants me to grasp. God spoke to me through this poster today...I suppose what He has been saying is this:

"Seth (and please...insert your name here if you so desire a challenge), I'm going to break your heart if you let me. Because this is the reality: there is such an enormous amount of broken people. Different degrees of brokenness exist...but remember this: each one....EACH AND EVERY SINGLE ONE...of these people, broken or not, is my child. I love them so much and am fighting for them. I desire them, each one. That is a fact and, Seth, since you are seeking to follow me you need to grasp this and realize this. Love is not always easy; however, I love them so much and want them so bad. So get working for me. Now..."
-God


I'll end with that,
sfk

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Seth,
I am so overwhelmed by your blog! You are an incredible writter and you show a true reflection of our Heavenly Father in your heart. I am so glad your mom forwarded me this page and look forward to keeping up with you through it.
Love,
Melissa Moore
Atlanta Ga

momma24girls said...

ah, yes, he starts a blog.

an outlet--to allow one to process such moments so that they might not pass away but will be documented. and documented so that we can go back and reflect and remember and learn yet again. and grow just a little bit more......

and undoubtedly you will remind others, such as this post most definitely does, that there are other things to think about than just themselves.

count me as one who is reminded.

happy to follow your journey, it will undoubtedly be a magnificent one.

nice crab dip pic.

take care, elizabeth