Sunday, December 23, 2007

The Bagette and the Adorable Old Woman next to me...


So I'm sitting in Panera today for my weekly "go-to-Panerabread-and-journal-slash-ponder-slash-eat a chipotle chicken sandwich" visit and I decided once and for all that I absolutely am amused by the elderly.
As I sat there, to be quite honest a bit confused as to why old people bring me so much joy, I decided to try and nail down some of the reasons why...and what I ended up with was about 4 abstract ideas that hardly describe why I feel drawn to "old" people :)

WHY do they bring me so much joy? Is it because the Holy Spirit puts them specially on my heart? I have always felt specifically drawn to, in my hopeful future career of physical therapy and rehab., geriatric rehabilitation, so maybe that's it.

Here are some of the things I wrote down:

(1.) They are quiet. But not just quiet. Almost as if they are peaceful. Tranquility is perhaps the best word, I believe.

(2.) They are slow. But not just slow--graceful and careful and cautious...and okay with not speeding around at the pace of our conformed culture.

(3.) The look of SORROW is always something I pick up on in a lot of the elderly's facial expression. It is, however, only "seemingly" present, because of course not all of them are down and depressed. That look of something...loneliness, sorrow, even quiet joy, just draws me in so much...

(4.) They are fragile. How could you not want to just love and care for something that is fragile?


Aren't I a character? Ha...Eating a Chipotle chicken sandwich (which I probably couldn't afford), analyzing my thoughts about the elderly, and all the while keeping a keen eye for the opportunity that maybe...just maybe...Some gorgeous woman will walk in, sit near me, get to know me, and someday let me just take care of her and be her strong man.

Or maybe that's too close a look into my thoughts, ey? For now...On Sunday night, Christmas Eve squared, I will just stop typing ;) Love ya'll and remember that you never know what type of day someone is having. you NEVER know what is going on in his or her life...so LOVE and express KINDNESS and GENEROSITY to everyone. You never know how much it may mean to some old woman staring around at the busyness of two younger generations, or to someone your age that seems just completely normal.

ya'll...I love that word.
till tomorrow'

sfk

2 comments:

Unknown said...

you are beyond incredible.

Danielle said...

same thing happened to me today...

I'm sitting in Panera...eating my soup and sandwich. not chipotle chicken though...sorry. mine was probably much better. ; ) anyway, so im eating my delicious food and watching a young father with his two little boys. they are giggling and joking around. poking their dad and giving him kisses on the cheek. they look so adorable and happy. and i can't help but smile at the evident love that's there. i love the innocent ways of children. the pure love they have for everyone. (i just thought i'd share this since it was quite similiar to your lunch hour)